Professor - Director Plant Breeding Consortium
- Phone: 919.515.1211
- Email: email@example.com
- Office: Kilgore Hall NA
- Website: https://www.plantbreeding.ncsu.edu/
Carlos grew up in a small farming community in SW Uruguay, getting his BSc at the University of Uruguay. He got his MSc and PhD in Plant Breeding at Iowa State University. Later in his career, he got an MSc in Ag Econ from Purdue University and an MBA in Food and Agribusiness from Indiana University.
Carlos has experience in the public (University of Uruguay, and International Center for Tropical Agriculture in Colombia) and private sectors (Weaver Popcorn and Syngenta). He has directly worked or managed programs in different species (corn, cassava, popcorn, wheat, peas); and has experience in more developed agriculture production systems (North America, Brazil/Argentina), as well as production in less developed regions of the world (Sub-Saharan Africa).
He is the creator of several varieties and hybrids still being grown, and his major focus has been in linking plant breeding to high-value markets. Recently at Syngenta, he was managing the NA Wheat Business Unit, a self-sustain unit supported by royalties from the seed business.
- Directing NCSU Plant Breeding Consortium
- Developing improved field pea varieties for the plant-based protein market
- Teaching a one-credit plant breeding course where students will visit well-established programs and get exposed to day-to-day activities.
Living in Chapel Hill where his wife is getting a PhD from UNC. An avid baker, gardener, and squash player.
- Ceballos H, Rojanaridpiched C, Phumichai C, Becerra LA, Kittipadakul P, Iglesias C, et al. Excellence in Cassava Breeding: Perspectives for the Future. 2020. Crop Breed Genet Genom. 2020;2(2):e200008.
- Iglesias C and J Sesmero. 2014. Economic analysis of supplementing sugarcane with corn for ethanol production in Brazil: a case study in Uberaba. BioEnergy Research Online
- H. Ceballos, C. Rojanaridpiched, C. Phumichai, P. Kittipadakul, C. Iglesias, and V.E. Gracen. 2019. Excellence in cassava breeding: perspectives for the future. Crop Breeding, Genetics, and Genomics (submitted Sept. 2019).
- Iglesias C and J Sesmero. 2014. Economic analysis of supplementing sugarcane with corn for ethanol production in Brazil: a case study in Uberaba. BioEnergy Research Online (Vol 7-3: 19p).
- Okogbenin, E; MCM Porto; C Egesi; C Mba; E Espinosa; LG Santos; C Ospina; J Martin; E Barrera; J Gutierrez; I Ekanayake; C Iglesias; and MA Fregene. 2007. Marker-assisted Introgression of resistance to Cassava Mosaic Disease into Latin American germplasm for the genetic improvement of cassava in Africa. Crop Sci. 47:1895-1904.
- Chavez, AL; T Sanchez; G Jaramillo; JM Bedoya; J Echeverry; EA Bolanos; H Ceballos, H; & C Iglesias. 2005. Variation of quality traits in cassava roots evaluated in landraces and improved clones. Euphytica 143:125-133.
- Ceballos H, C Iglesias, JC Perez and AGO Dixon. 2004. Cassava breeding: opportunities and challenges. Plant Molecular Biology 56:503-516.
- Cortes DF, K Reilly, E Okogbenin, JR Beeching, C Iglesias and J Tohme. 2002. Mapping wound-response genes involved in post-harvest physiological deterioration (PPD) of cassava (Manihot esculenta Crantz). Euphytica 128:47-53.
- Goncalvez-Fukuda WM, S. Oliveira and C. Iglesias. 2002. Cassava Breeding. Crop Breeding & Applied Biotechnology 2:617-638.
- Chávez,A.L., J.M. Bedoya, T. Sánchez, C. Iglesias, H. Ceballos and W.Roca. 2000. Iron, carotene, and ascorbic acid in cassava roots and leaves. Food and Nutrition Bulletin Vol. 21, No 4: 410-413.
- Roa AC; P Chavarriaga-Aguirre; MC Duque; MM Maya; MW Bonierbale; C Iglesias; & J Tohme. 2000. Cross-species amplification of cassava (Manihot esculenta) (Euphorbiaceae) microsatellites: allelec polymorphism and degree of relationship. American Journal of Botany 87:1647-1655.
- MBA, Food and Agri-Businesses, Indiana University (2014)
- MS, Ag Econ, Purdue University (2014)
- PhD, Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, Iowa State University (1989)
- MS, Plant Breeding and Cytogenetics, Iowa State University (1987)
- BS, Agronomy; University of Uruguay (1983)